Google announced in June that it was giving a boost in it’s search engine results to websites that use encryption (https). This means that CoreCommerce stores that use https as their storefront URL are given a higher search engine results ranking. It’s not known how much of a boost, but if Google says it–you can count on it.
This means that you should strongly consider the following:
- Install a secure certificate for your domain name. (how to details)
- Reconfigure your header/footer to use secure image calls. (https not http)
- Change your merchantURL to use a secureURL.
- Ensure your robots.txt file doesn’t use noindex or block any https site from crawling it.
- Change your navigation links to all point to a secureURL.
We will be implementing some changes over the next few months to make this the default when building a CoreCommerce store. Stay tuned for exact details.