January 4, 2013
Starting an online business is a great way to generate income and grow into self-employment. Many would-be business owners like the idea of starting a business but are unable to decide on what to sell or can’t come up with any ideas on what to sell. If you fall into that boat, don’t be discouraged! Here are a few tips to get your creative juices flowing:
- What are your hobbies? Think about what you enjoy doing and see if there are opportunities to sell products related to it. For example, if you love sewing, starting an online fabric store may be a perfect fit for you.
- If you are a crafter or artisan, consider selling your items in an online store. Handmade items are a growing market and consumers are willing to pay for unique or specially made products.
- Starting an online store targeting a particular “lifestyle” niche can allow you to offer a variety of related products that appeal to a broader market. An example of a “lifestyle” store could be geared towards something specific like the hiking/outdoor lifestyle. Products to offer could be varied such as hiking gear, maps/books, all natural/organic food, accessories, clothing and anything else that might interest the hiking/outdoor niche.
We suggest selling products that you are passionate about or use yourself that you feel would resonate with consumers. By incorporating an element of something you already enjoy and know about, you’re more likely to stick with the business idea and have an idea of what products to offer. If you’re still stumped on what to sell in your online store, below are a few suggestions!
- Baby clothing, accessories
- Vintage clothing, accessories, housewares
- All natural products(soap, lotion, clothing,etc.)
- Unique home decor items
- Outdoor/Camping equipment
- Specialty kitchen products
- Wedding accessories, decor
- Craft supplies(yarn, fabric, thread, patterns, etc)
What type of online store do you have or want to start and why?